Saturday, May 18, 2013

Rollercoaster (or of all the days for this morning to happen..)

That sweet dog nicknamed Bowie. The little white and black one. He showed up again a few weeks ago. He would not come to me. I chased him, I stalked him. I tried so many treats. He would not come to me. I hated seeing him out again. He broke my heart.
This morning I sat on the curb at the end of my block with two other neighbors and he broke my heart again. He had been hit by a car. He died right there in front of me before I could help him.
I have been questioning my actions bringing him to the Humane Society that day. He had no chip, no collar, had not been neutered. I should have found him a better home. But who was I to judge. I thought that was the best place.
Forever, I will be haunted as to why I couldn't catch him again. There was no way I was going to bring him back to the Humane Society. I would have found him a new home myself.
But. This is not what happened. And the reality of what did happen breaks my heart.

So. With this heavy heart I went to Maplewood a few short hours later. There was a PBR - Stray Rescue event. Oh the sweet pups! Big headed pits, and soft shepherd mixes. Happy mutts all around: they had all be saved. The kisses from a three legged red pit bull made me feel better. She lost her leg and tail after being hit by car. She ran and barked and smiled and loved. All the dogs were so sweet. Truly they were all great. A human will be lucky to have any of them in their life.
As I loved on a sweet pup I heard a voice I know from Stray Rescue videos. It was Randy Grim. Founder of Stray Rescue, and an honest hero in my eyes.
So here, after an awful morning, I got to meet him. The irony of this was deep. The losses this man has seen are immense. But he goes on. And I am so grateful for him.
The best news is he is so incredibly nice... And he likes Wichita's name (her Stray Rescue name was Titanium.)
The day ended good, but I'll always remember Bowie.  Strange day. Strange circle.


No comments:

Post a Comment